Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Reminiscing about the Railroad

5 days and 15 years ago, I quit my job on the BN. It was a time of recession, and it was heartbreaking to watch my ability to support myself and my (ex)husband evaporate. So, in a fit of frustration and anger, not knowing that IF I had held out another 90 days or so, my job as an engineer would have been secure, I took a buy-out. I sold my Trainman's Rights, not my Engineer's Rights--but their rules said I needed both to work...so...I lost my dream on a cold, overcast March day in Denver, CO.

I have regretted it ever since.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Why? My defining identity was wrapped up in my railroading, in my abilities to run trains and guide switching operations, to excel in a trade that takes skill and love to pursue well. I gave it up. Boom, in one fell swoop, I was without an identity. Part of me--an essential part, I felt for a long time--died a sudden painful death. I mourn even now, even knowing that my disability would have nailed me only a few years later anyway. It was just that I wasn't ready to end my railroading then! I wasn't tired of handling coal trains, or switching cars in the yards. It was still all shiny and fresh, every single trip.

Now all I feel is a deep sadness and anger that it all could have been different--if the BLE would have opened the Engineer's Extra Board up to us newbies (as it was designed to do) instead of keeping it as a gravy train for the older men. IF the country hadn't been in a recession due to the inanities and sloppy governing of G.H.W. Bush. IF I hadn't bought a house the year before I entered Engineer Training. So many IFS! Damn it!

Now, 15 years later (damn, has it been that long?) I sit here a different person. I am a published Author writing about--you guessed it--RAILROADING. I'm a blogger, an artist, a priestess. Do I still miss running trains? You betcha! Now, writing about running them is the best I can do--and it suffices.

I hope all the friends and folks back on the BN (now the BNSF) are doing well. Our paths have diverged, but I will never, ever forget those days so many years ago. I wish all y'all the best. Have safe trips always!

Choo Choo Q.

No comments: