Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Adventures in Baking

My sweet fang was twanging tonight, so I dug out a nice box of Betty Crocker Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffin Mix and decided to play with it. I wasn't in the mood to wrangle with muffin cups, so I decided to make the mix into a loaf instead. There was a convenient recipe on the back of the box for this conversion, and here it is (with commentary):

1 box of muffin mix (Betty Crocker brand as the box obviously states. I think any brand that makes a full dozen muffins will work, IMHO)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil of your choice (I have Mazola on hand)
2 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine (I melted it to a liquid)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Use 8"x4" or 9"x5" loaf pan, lubed with appropriate slippery stuff. Stir all ingredients except butter/margarine (I missed that bit there, and added it in, too. After seeing my mistake, I added a bit more flour to compensate for my chemistry error.) together until blended. May be a tad lumpy, but that's allowed. Slide mass into loaf pan. (If you put oil into the bowl first, I discovered, the dough just slides right out in one blob, leaving no residue to scrape out of the bowl, sadly.) Bake for 35-40 minutes, until toothpick slides in and out cleanly, and top of loaf is golden brown.

The extra butter I mistakenly put in with the dough was meant to be used to make lemon-butter from a bit of the icing, included in the box, mixed together with it. Oh well. My screw up. I didn't plan on lemon-butter anyway.

The jokers expect this to serve 16! What a crock! It will serve three very nicely, and the slices will be thicker than newspaper, too.

Yeah, I'm not supposed to be making things like this to eat...but...sue me! I just wish Marko the Were-Lynx could have a piece, but he's across the Big Water in the Mother Country (Czech Republic, for those who guessed something else) and will never taste this bit of Q. Cooking.

Right now, I'm waiting for the timer. Got about 8 minutes to go.

-- (ten minutes later...)

It came out purrrr-fect. Yum! Apparently, the added margarine did no harm. Another successful adventure in baking!

Heh heh,

Q.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh, heh...

Good thing I wasn't around for that one. I've had what seem to be allergic reactions to poppy seeds. Used to eat poppy seed bagels occasionally. The Czechs (in a gross generalization) are wild about poppy seeds. Just a bunch of opium freaks I guess. Many cakes and pastries have fillings made almost entirely of ground poppy seeds. Heck, they even sell poppy seed grinders here. Imagine owning a mini-meat grinder that you clamp onto your counter-top and its only use is for grinding tiny poppy seeds...

Anyway, one day I ordered a sort of dumpling dish smothered in poppy seeds, sugar and butter. Delicious... but I spent the rest of the afternoon hunched over in agony. Now I note a tell-tale throat irritation if I swallow some of those sneaky little seeds.

So I've got to be careful when trying tempting new pastries around here.

Sigh...